A 67-year-old registered sex offender faces 15 years to life in prison later this month when sentenced for the slaying a 20-year-old pregnant Wilmington mother whose body was found on Malaga Cove Beach in 1980.

Robert Allan Yniguez, 66, of San Pedro was scheduled to be sentenced Oct. 28 after entering a no-contest plea to second-degree murder in Torrance Superior Court on Sept. 19, said Ricardo Santiago, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

The plea was entered less than a month before his case was scheduled to go to trial, according to court records.

Yniguez was arrested in September 2017 on suspicion of murdering Teresa Broudreaux nearly four decades ago. Her bloodied and bruised body was nude except for knee socks when she was found in Palos Verdes Estates by a surfer on March 4, 1980. She was five months pregnant with her second child, officials said.

It was determined Broudreaux died of a massive blow to the head, with a medical examiner noting there were defensive wounds on her fingers.

Yniguez was connected to the crime in 2013 after Sheriff’s Department cold-case investigators submitted DNA evidence to a crime lab for testing, officials said.

Yniguez had been facing one count of murder with a special-circumstance allegation of murder during the commission of a rape, which made him eligible for the death penalty. Prosecutors hadn’t yet decided if they would go that route.

Investigators and family members initially believed the woman was killed by someone she knew, noting she loved to frequent Malaga Cove with friends and family. News of his arrest comforted Broudreaux’s husband, Ronnie Fematt.

Fematt, 21 at the time, had been married to Broudreaux for five months when she was killed.

“It’s been 37 years,” he said the day authorities announced Yniguez’s arrest. “I’ve waited a long time for this day. I wanted to thank my family for always believing in me. …

“It’s been a long time for what I’ve been through. The non-certainty of not knowing why or how. I’m just glad this day came.”

Fematt would later testify at a preliminary hearing that he and his wife argued after they were dropped off at their Wilmington home after visiting friends. Fematt wanted to go back to continue partying, he said.

The argument culminated in Broudreaux leaving the house and walking east toward L Street where her sister lived, Fematt said. He went back to the friend’s house to find everyone had left, he testified.

Broudreaux apparently dropped by her sister’s house for a bit but never made it back home and Fematt was met by sheriff’s investigators when he went to check on her at her sister’s home the following day.

The case went cold until Yniguez’s DNA profile appeared in 2013, linked by a single sperm head that was found in Broudreaux’s pubic hair. Yniguez had a prior rape conviction, in 1982, according to court testimony.

In a series of interviews beginning in December 2014, Yniguez denied being involved, according to testimony from sheriff’s detective Ralph Hernandez, who was assigned to the case in June 2013.

Load comments