Life at the beach was good this weekend.

The inaugural BeachLife Festival brought thousands of music fans and 40 acts, including Brian Wilson, Bob Weir and Willie Nelson, to three stages by the water in Redondo Beach May 3-5 for a laid-back weekend of music and food in a smoothly run event.

“It was just so nice, relaxed. Great music, perfect weather. I couldn’t be happier,” said Carson resident Randy Lopez as he sat by the main stage on Sunday afternoon.

Organized by locals Allen Sanford, owner of Saint Rocke in Hermosa Beach, and his business partner Rob Lissner, the festival took place on 8.6 acres by the water that included the entire Seaside Lagoon and adjacent parking lot.

“It’s cathartic. I cannot believe how much this community has rallied around the BeachLife,” Sanford said on Sunday.

The live music fit the waterside vibe with an older crowd that was laid-back and in good spirits throughout the three-day festival and maybe more surprisingly, especially for a first year event, people were sailing through the gates with short to sometimes no waiting time in line at the main gate.

In addition to headliners Weir, Wilson and Nelson, the lineup included acts such as singer Jason Mraz, San Diego-born rock-reggae group Slightly Stoopid, Hermosa Beach outfit Tomorrow’s Bad Seeds, Ziggy Marley, Violent Femmes and Blues Traveler.

It was an event that attracted mostly locals, who biked, walked or took shuttles and ride shares to the venue, which meant little traffic and parking woes as most of the event’s eight surrounding parking lots ever reached capacity all weekend.

“We had a ton of parking lots and there’s nobody parking in them because I think it’s true, the BeachLife people ride their bikes, they walk, Uber, the game has changed,” Sanford said.

Capacity at the venue was 12,000 people per day and while Sanford didn’t have the final attendance figures, he noted that the event was not a sell-out.

“I think for the first year it’s perfect out there,” he said of the crowd size.

The main acts took place on the High Tide stage, which was located in the parking lot area of the venue.

But you would never guess this was a parking lot with rich green synthetic turf covering the area front of the stage, giving it the feel of a welcoming neighborhood park where you could lay down a blanket, listen to music and watch your kids run around.

And that’s exactly what Lane Royall did with her kids, who are 5 and 3 years old as she waited for the music to begin on the main stage on Sunday afternoon.

“It’s beautiful, the weather is great…it’s been easy and super chill,” she said.

And even the late starts were planned, Sanford said. Some bands on Saturday and Sunday started about 15 minutes after their scheduled start time.

“I don’t like the first band to not have people in front of them,” Sanford said, noting that he delayed the set times for opening bands until more people would arrive at the festival.

Even lines, which can be painfully long and slow, especially at first-time events, were virtually non-existent with people pretty much sailing into the gates all weekend. And the few lines that formed, mostly Saturday afternoon and Sunday evening, got festival goers in the doors within 15 minutes.

“Tremendous amounts of hours went into planning this thing so meticulously. Every detail was poured over a thousand times,” Sanford said.

And the planning for next year has already started.

“I think the community is pretty loudly saying we like this,” he added.

Load comments