Motorcyclist still in critical condition after accident that closed Sepulveda - The Beach Reporter: Hermosa Beach

Motorcyclist still in critical condition after accident that closed Sepulveda

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, November 5, 2012 4:35 pm

A Hermosa Beach resident is still in critical condition after being involved in a motorcycle accident Nov. 1 at approximately 4:30 p.m. at the intersection of Tennyson Street and Sepulveda Boulevard in Manhattan Beach.

The motorcyclist, Cameron King, was injured as he headed north on Sepulveda Boulevard. A car traveling south made a left turn in front of him to go east on Tennyson Street. The motorcyclist hit the car broadside.

The motorcyclist was helped immediately by an off-duty paramedic, and other motorists and bystanders followed close behind by responding Manhattan Beach fire and police units.

Immediately after the accident, King, who was wearing a helmet, was down on his side beside his motorcycle in the opposing northbound traffic lane next to the left turn lane from Sepulveda Boulevard onto Tennyson Street. A small sports utility truck was on the sidewalk just past the intersection.

Paramedics transported him to County Harbor-UCLA Medical Center were he underwent surgery.

Northbound Sepulveda remained closed from Artesia Boulevard to Keats Street with traffic diverted to Artesia Boulevard late into the evening.

An earlier media report said the motorcyclist had died, but police said he was in surgery on Nov 1. Another driver was also reported injured, but his or her condition was unknown.

On Nov. 5, King’s friend Shannon Hamed said he is still in critical condition in ICU.

“(He has) major trauma to his head as well as numerous broken bones — his ribs, arm, leg, and ankle,” Hamed said of King, who has lived in Hermosa Beach for nearly five years.

She said the only relatives that anyone knew of were his mother and stepfather, who both passed away in September and two weeks ago, respectively.

Hamed said she and King had dinner the night before the accident, and he expressed concern about dealing with his parents’ estate and being “all alone now.” Hamed heard about the accident while changing planes in Atlanta on her way to the East Coast.

She said his friends are currently organizing a collection to help with his living expenses while he is recovering. Hamed said the extent of his injuries is unknown. She said he is not breathing on his own and there is too much swelling to determine if he has any brain injuries.

  • Discuss
default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Logout|My Dashboard