The stage is set, the bleachers are up, the sand is cordoned off with chain-linked fencing.
The Teen Choice Awards, in Hermosa Beach, are set for Sunday, Aug. 11 — the first time the 20-year-old awards show will be held on the sand. If you’re a fan, you may have a ton of questions:
Will Taylor Swift show up? Or will she accept the inaugural Icon Award remotely?
How many of the Jonas Brothers will strut across the stage to receive the Decade Award? ("I'm a Sucker For You!")
While we can’t answer those two — admittedly, very important — questions, here are the answers to some others.
When the show airs on FOX Sunday evening, fans will finally know the results of teens’ Choice voting from July in music, movies and television categories.
There’s great stuff, such as:
- Five nominations for a rapper (Lil Nas X) who paired with an old cowboy (Billy Ray Cyrus) for the chart-buster "Old Town Road"
- Nine nominations for the movie “Avengers: Endgame,” which — if box office records are any indications — is the likely favorite over “Crazy Rich Asians,” which was also massively popular; and
- Five nominations for TV shows adolescents adore—Riverdale, The Flash and Shadowhunters
There are also awards for Choice throwback TV shows and something that may boggle the minds of Baby Boomers:
As in: relationSHIP.
Because we all want to know who’s got the steamiest cinematic romance. Did teens vote for Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, who starred in “A Star is Born”? You’ll have to watch to find out.
Clear bag policy
Getting into watch the show, meanwhile, will come with some security hurdles. (That is, if you got one of the 3,000 locals-only tickets or successfully applied for and received general-audience tickets.)
The venue, which opens at 3 p.m., has a clear bag policy, which means:
- Each person may bring a clear plastic, vinyl or PVC bag that does not exceed 12" x 6" x 12" or a one-gallon clear plastic (Ziplock) bag.
- You may also bring a small clutch bag (about the size of your hand) along with the plastic bag.
Do not bring a backpack, beach tote or non-clear purse. You will be asked to take it back to your car, according to a FOX spokesperson.
The network has beefed up security, according to FOX, due to the recent domestic terror incidents in Dayton, Gilroy and El Paso.
Let's hope the folks in the beach cities who scalped their locals-only wristbands also got the memo about the clear bag policy. (We see you people on Nextdoor posting "free" wristbands.)
Also, do not bring chairs, umbrellas or coolers/ice chests. Towels, snacks, sunscreen and clear plastic water bottles are permitted.
The show itself
Oh, yes, performances.
These stars are scheduled to entertain the 10,000 attendees:
- Monsa X
- Sarah Hyland (of Modern Family fame) with Jordan McGraw (Dr. Phil's son!) performing "Met At A Party."
Getting to the event
Hermosa Beach officials highly recommend either walking, biking or using ride share services on Sunday as parking will be limited downtown.
There will be Uber and Lyft drop-off and pick-up points on Pier Avenue, between Manhattan Avenue and Palm Drive.
The bike corral will be located on the east side of Hermosa Avenue between 10th Street and Pier Avenue.
Pedestrians will have access to the venue, on the sand south of the Hermosa Beach Pier, via 11th Street from Hermosa Avenue to the Strand and on 10th Street from Hermosa Avenue to the Strand.
If you must drive, these lots are open
- Community Center (710 Pier Avenue)
- City Hall (1315 Valley Drive)
- Parking Lot D (corner of Manhattan Avenue and 14th Street)
- Valley School (1645 Valley Drive)
- Lower Level Parking Only at Plaza Hermosa (Von's Shopping Center) available from 2 to 8 p.m.
Pier closed, but Pier Plaza will be open
The Hermosa Beach pier will be closed to the public on Sunday, but Pier Plaza and its businesses will remain open.
Slater's 50/50 will be closed for the day.
To access Hermosa Cyclery, Good Stuff and The Deck, use the Strand via 14th Street.
These roads are closed
Road closures will be in effect on Sunday, Aug. 11 from 11 a.m. through 9 p.m.
- The Strand from 10th St to Slaters 50/50 (The Deck, Good Stuff and Hermosa Cyclery will be open and accessible from the Strand)
- Beach Drive from 10th St to 14th St
- 11th Ct from Hermosa Ave to Beach Dr
- 13th Ct from Hermosa Ave to Beach Dr
- 13th St from Hermosa Ave to Beach Dr
- 14th Ct from Hermosa Ave to Beach Dr
- Parking Lots A, B, and C (structure)
These streets will be accessible to pedestrian and bicycles only:
- Pier Avenue from Manhattan Ave to Hermosa Ave
- Hermosa Avenue from 8th St to 16th St
- 8th St from Hermosa Ave to the Strand
- 9th St from Hermosa Ave to the Strand
- 14th St from Hermosa Ave to the Strand
If you are a resident or a registered hotel guest staying in the area, you may access these areas from Hermosa Avenue with ID or proof of registration.
For more information, call (310) 318-0280, or visit hermosabch.org/teenchoice2019.